Statistics reveal that over 24 million (more than 40%) of UK adults rely on multivitamin pills or supplements daily to harness energy, guard against malnutrition, and enhance immunity. Ideally, multivitamins contain various minerals, vitamins, and other nutrients essential to your health. However, the big question is whether multivitamins are the most reliable source of these nutrients. This post describes some of the health benefits of multivitamins.
What are the Essential Nutrients for Good Health?
Maintaining healthy metabolism and overall body health, there are over 50 essential nutrients needed. Some of these nutrients include the following:
The functions of Vitamin A include supporting good vision, maintaining the immune system, and enhancing growth and development. It is also useful in maintaining flawless skin. Foods that produce vitamin A include melons, sweet potatoes, and carrots.
Vitamin B plays such roles as promoting healthy brain functioning, enhance cell metabolism, and preventing infections. It is also responsible for stress and anxiety relief. B Vitamins can be sourced from foods such as eggs, lean meats, and grains.
Vitamin C is necessary for minimising bruising, wound healing, and maintenance of cartilage. It can be sourced from such foods as strawberries, kiwifruit, guavas, and red peppers.
Large proportions of Vitamin D in the human body are sourced from the sun. Its functions include the regulation of phosphorus and calcium in the body, and maintaining healthy bones, teeth, and muscles.
Vitamin E is necessary for the proper functioning of body organs and maintaining the immune system. It also makes cell membranes stronger, as well as protecting cells from the effects of free radicals.
Calcium is suitable for the maintenance and development of teeth and bones. It is also responsible for the regulation of hormone secretion, blood pressure, and contraction of muscles.
The function of Magnesium in the body is to convert food into energy. It also has a role in strengthening bones and enhancing the normal functioning of your muscles.
It is essential for regulating blood glucose levels and enhancing insulin sensitivity.
The primary role of Zinc is to strengthen your immune system, enhance wound healing, and promote skin health. It is also suitable for fertility.
Folic Acid is one of the B Vitamins responsible for the production of haemoglobin and maintaining optimal homocysteine levels.
Benefits of Multivitamins
Multivitamins are consumed at very high levels in the UK by people of varying activity levels, age, and gender. The benefits of multivitamins include:
- Enhanced muscle recovery for athletes. Anyone who is actively engaged in strenuous exercises and high activity levels requires wellness supplements to enhance recovery.
- Protection against nutritional deficiencies. Today, a good percentage of people are unable to obtain nutritional sufficiency due to such factors as a change in eating habits. Multivitamins help in supplementing the missing nutrients in the body.
- Supporting pregnancy and lactation. Consumption of multivitamins by expectant mothers helps in supporting the growth of the foetus.
- Enhanced growth and development for children aged five months to 5 years. Nutritional supplements, such as Vitamin A, C, and D, may come in handy when children are growing.
- Maintains bone and muscle strength for the elderly. Adults over 65 years may require a daily intake of multivitamins to enhance bone and muscle strength.
- Relief from the symptoms and effects of menopause.
- Maintains a steady body reserve for smokers.
- Supplementing nutritional sufficiency for individuals under restricted diets.
- Providing Vitamin D to those with limited exposure to sunlight.
Dangers of Multivitamins
When a dose of multivitamins contains larger proportions of a nutrient than your body may require, it can be extremely harmful. For example, excessive intake of calcium can trigger heart disease or kidney stones. The most important thing is to take the recommended daily dosage. Consult your doctor to establish whether multivitamins are necessary for your consumption.